Monday, November 12, 2007

Thursday afternoon, Rolf and I had a meeting with a financial planner. So we got out of work early and got to spend some time together at a restaurant. Rolf had called in the day and asked if I would mind if he played geezerball that evening. I would mind, I told him. I'm sick of him getting home at 8:30, and I told him so. So, because of that I didn't want him to go. But he loves it so much, and it's the only exercise he gets. So I gave in. But he was being very sweet. When I had told him "It was a long, boring, lonely day; and nothing happened. I'm glad it's over," the night before, it hurt him. So, he was going to fix it. He is a sweetheart. But life is hard.

"I've decided that we need to hug every hour"
"You have, have you?"
"Yes, we need more hugging."

So, we hugged in the kitchen where I'd been putting away the dishes. That was a nice moment, silent promises.

But when he came back saying

"It's been an hour. Time for a hug."
"I'm not going to just hug you every hour.
You need to talk to me nicely first.
Otherwise, it's just labor . . . harassment . . . and you have to kiss me first."

I am an idiot. We didn't hug so much. When he did something nice, and I went for a kiss and a hug, he was still stinging from my rejection of his grand gesture. But we did hug. Before he left he said that Friday would our date night, and

"What would you like to do?"
"I would like to do something that you would enjoy.
Something that would make you laugh and smile,
without pretending that you're having a good time."
"OK, well, I'll think of something and I'll let you know."

And he gave me a sweet kiss and squeeze on the shoulders and he was gone.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home