Friday, June 29, 2007

Strawberries for Breakfast

Hi!

We had a fun dinner with Nearly Gay Nick last night. He was there when I got home from work - looking good. He lost his job recently with severance. It was great to see him and know that he's o.k. And even though I had two glasses of wine, and two bourbons - I managed to stay within my Weight Watcher's diet plan.

I snacked on cucumber slices and humus, before finishing off work on the new patio in front. Rolf and Nick sat on the front steps while I laid down mulch and replanted a pot. The Tour d'Ravensworth street bike team flew by. It is so much fun. There are about a hundred of them, and they fly by wearing all the colors you see on t.v. Every Tuesday and Thursday, if I get home work in time, they fly by; and I applaud and cheer like people did for me when I ran the Marine Corp Marathon. Rolf and Nick had a good laugh when the cyclists waved and shouted their thanks.

For dinner I steamed monkish on a bed of leeks and spring onions over a tarragon broth, and served that on a bed of arugula with a tarragon parsley lemon olive oil citronette that Rolf made for me, and big shrimp that I marinated briefly in the citronette . I just piled thick mingions of fish and saucy shrimp on top of the arugula, and topped it all off with the steamed leeks and a drizzle more of the citronette . (Fresh baby spinach would work instead of arugula.) Side dish was zucchini with caramelized onions and diced tomatoes. I let that cool off before serving it so it was warm.

Monkfish is similar in texture to lobster, but much less expensive. I've heard it called poor man's lobster. It was very good. I liked steaming it too. I've had a couple of failures with it before by overcooking it, so I was very careful and it was just brilliant!
_________

We'll get to see my folks some this weekend. We're going the Lake House for the weekend. There will be fireworks on the lake on Saturday night that we'll watch from the pontoon boat. If it's like other years, it will be much fun, followed by the boat breaking down.

Joy's new husband is going to be there, and his sister, two nieces - one with downs syndrome - and also one of his granddaughters. We've never met them. So, we have to come out to more people. I always fear for the worst. Well - the problem is, I always fear.

This our first trip to the lake house this year. My parents are delighted that we're coming.

Then back to work Monday and Tuesday before we take off for Rehoboth for five days.

I'm liking this.

All the best,
Vig

1 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun Vig, only now I'm hungry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home