Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Life's not as bad as it may seem

Memorial Day 9:15 am

As I write, the sun is high in front of me, high above the ocean. With my hat pulled low, I know it's location by the warming rays on my legs. It is quiet. A man and his wife are walking their poodle puppy - here on poodle beach. The puppy is excited to greet a golden retriever, but the retriever is just waiting to chase the ball. Joggers . . . more dogs chasing balls into the surf . . .

This is wonderful. Saturday and Sunday we slept until 11, then Rolf worked for a few hours, so we didn't get a whole lot of beach time in. I decided to come for the sunrise today, and although I woke up in time to do it; I rolled over, put my head on his shoulder, and went back to sleep.

And now I am joined by dolphins. DOLPHINS! It is not a big group, or, if it is, it's a very loose group. I don't see more than two or three at a time.

Rolf was still in bed; I told him I'd gotten him a bagel with lox and cream cheese, which I left on the dresser, but he rolled over into sleep as I closed the door.

Some house mates were packing up for an early trip home, other's going for a bike excursion, one was taking a shower, there must have been 2 others still asleep, and one was gone. There are still three we haven't met yet.

We're all white gay boys, ranging in age from 30 - 50, skinny bitches and athletes, baby bears and fatties; all very nice and fun. I don't know their names.

A pod of dolphins has stopped to feed, and one of them leapt into the air. There is a lone umbrella and chair down to my right now; looking like a classic still life, the blue- teal- purple- gold umbrella tilted against the gray blue horizon, a lime green pink and white low rise chair billowing like a sail, an orange tangerine beach towel folded small over the top keeps it from blowing away. And a canvas bag, that, other than blue piping, is the same color as the sand.

The house is lovely, situated leisurely walking distance from the beach and town. Late, we walked home, after running into and stopping for drinks with friends, down the board walk, through the kiddie arcade, full of camera toting young daddies, thrilled toddlers, and new mothers looking to the world as if all their dreams were coming true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home