Monday, October 09, 2006

It's the darndest thing - 4

"I made you some potato pancakes but I ate them," he said crossly, while hunched over his lap top.

"Why did you do that" I spat.

Exasperated, in his why don't you get this demeanor, he says "You wouldn't get out of bed. Not only am I fighting this battle, for which I am ashamed because some think I'm partially culpable, our vacation is ruined, you won't get out of bed, and I get to just sit here and think that's it's all my fault. So I ate them."

I don't know if that was before or after I yelled at him that's he's a jerk.

I went downstairs and sat in the dark, drinking a coke.

I hate it that this has happened to him. It is not good for his health. I hate for him to so disappointed. It is really a very sad sight to see him so very frustrated and angry.
_________

Brightened by a little caffeen and sugar, I went up and sat in the sun-room for a little while, while he scowled and hunched over his laptop.

"Did you say I missed the meeting to talk about our trip to Italy?"

"Oh," almost smiling, obviosly relieved "now you want to talk about going to Italy."

I must have been very groggy, because everything is a little strange and dreamlike.

"We need to find out how much tickets are going to cost, is there any way we can get them for the same rate as the ones we canceled? Because the company said they will pay our costs, and I fully intend to make them pay the difference in our ticket cost, I just hope it isn't $7,000. They don't have any idea that we were flying business class. But it looks like this response should be filed on Tuesday. And then it will probably take (the federal client) three months to review it. So we can go. Do you want to go on Thursday, and just pick it up there? Or is it going to be raining the whole time? We could go in the spring, and go somewhere else, south to warm sunshine and water. . "

"I want to go to Italy, we can change our plans and fly into Venice. We still have hotel reservations there, and then we can go down the coast, and we won't have that waste of time traveling from Naples to Venice . . ."

"Ok. I'll let them know."

We were still sitting there, watching America's Funniest Home Video's. And I almost laughed.

"Did I see a smile?"

"Yes, I'm feeling better," I said. "And hey! Who could have guessed that, on our 25th Anniversary we could honestly say: 'The best is yet to come!"?




3 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Trey said...

Oy vey! I had wondered what was going on. Don't let this crap get to you. Italy can wait. The weather is fine until early November. Easily. I'm sorry that all of this crap has happened to you to, but think about sitting in St. Mark's Square in Venice, as the sun sets, drinking a glass of wine, and holding Rolf's hand, and remember what's really important. The fact that you two are together, after so many years, the good and the bad, and if you celebrate that a couple of days, or couple of weeks after your real anniversary, big deal!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Louise said...

God, I could just cry thinking about you missing your anniversary in Italy. I was feeling bad for you all weekend and wondering what happened. I'm glad you're not putting it off.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Oh, Vig! Now my little key problem does not seem so bad. I am glad you responded, though. I somehow lost your link when I was fiddling around and now it is back! I am sure you will get to Italy! But the situation did seem dire. You have a great writing style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home