Tuesday, October 10, 2006

High Fidelity

Back on Thursday, after Rolf and I nearly squished each other to death hugging in the kitchen, we collapsed at the bar table. After he vented for a while, he said "This is never going to go away! What will make it better?" He was quite shocked that I had a ready answer:

"A New Car."

I would have gone out and bought one on Friday too - except I have a credit oops to fix, and it was raining besides. But I'm still getting one. If we make it to Italy, I said I'm getting a Volvo S-omething convertible, midnight blue. If we don't; I'm getting a BMW 3 series, convertible, midnight blue.

He laughed, and asked me just how I thought I was going to pay for it. And I said, "You know, I haven't figured that one out just yet, so I'm going to leave it up to you."

So, I'm actually looking at smaller cheaper cars today. A PT Cruiser convertible, new is in the low $20's, and the Beetle convertible too. I know they're not the best car, but they're both so much better than my Oldsmobile 88. Which, was a free car - but, I think I'm done doing penance for wrecking my beloved LeSabre with the moon roof. But damn, even a car in the $20's has a monthly payment of $350.
_________

Saturday, after I recovered, I did make the 420 connection. Rolf was still hovering over his laptop until early evening, but we had decided to make a special evening of it, as it was the eve of our 25th Anniversary.

Now, all our luggage is in the living room. And everything that fits us, is in those two suitcases. And also, I haven't gotten drapes yet so, anyone walking by get's a sneak peak for free if their timing is right, if you get my drift.

So, I found what I needed, leaving the packing intact, went on and took my shower . . . got stoned sometime in there . . . you know, all the while Rolf is saying: "Just ten more minutes, I promise. . .I'll be done in just ten more minutes." Finally, at about 7:30: "Ok, ok, I'm done. I'll go get in the shower - do you want to make the reservations. . ."

What do you think I did with my spare time?

And then :) after I made the reservations at my favorite restaurant, Floriana's Mercury Grille on 17th Street . . . all I remember is that I was listening too Bob Mould, Body of Song. . except I wasn't really sure it was him. It could have been Bob Schneider who had opened for the Dixie Chicks, but I was hoping it was Bob Mould. I was dancing and putting the dishes away, watching the clock because I had figured he'd take a 20 minute shower, take ten minutes to get dressed, we could have a cocktail, and then make it to the restaurant by 8:45.

It was Bob Mould I was listening too, but for some reason - mostly because I don't have a CD player in my car - but I was never sure. And I wasn't sure until a little while later, after I had realized that Rolf had been in the shower for over half and hour, and after I went in and told him we had reservations for 8:45, and he said with lilt in his voice "Ok, ok. I'll hurry. I'll be right there. " And I partially shut the door, but peaked in, and he partially opened the shower curtain and peaked out. And we laughed.

It was then, when I was back in the living room, and I heard High Fidelity from Body of Song that I knew for sure that I was listening to Bob Mould. Rolf stuck his head out from the kitchen, cause he was naked, and all his clothes were in the living room where there are no curtains on the windows; asking me to get him some clothes to wear. While I put his outfit together, he was dancing and singing High Fidelity (his favorite song these days), naked in the sun-room.

I doubt that Bob Mould was thinking of us getting ready for our Eve of 25th Anniversary (in Lieu of Rome) Dinner, with me high and laughing in the living room; and Rolf, naked, dancing, and singing in the dark in the sun-room: when he was writing High Fidelity; but it couldn't have been any more fitting.

or funny.


3 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Trey said...

It sounds wonderful! And funny! And fitting!

I'm also toying with the idea of a new car. I'm thinking the Saturn Sky or the Pontiac Solstice. 2 seaters, but great looking convertibles and I think they are sort of reasonable. But my new car will have to wait till next year. ;-(

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Vig said...

there has to be a back seat for d'Ohgy.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Vig, you are too funny, never a dull moment with the two of you.

Oh and thanks for the comments on Sideshow, I didn't know what to think...Now I'm excited about going. Wish I could invite you to come along, it would be fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home