Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Time of Love

It all started on Friday. With time to kill before Rolf got home; I started a marinated salad of cannellini beans and black olives, did a load of dishes. . . . . . waiting . . .

(I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host. - Parker)

Rolf, who was running late, is dangerous when pushed. So, I made a sign that I wore over my pocket. It said:
Smile please
& HURRY!

Don't criticize my shirt.
Which he dutifully obeyed! I had a martini waiting for him when he was dressed and ready to go, and I plated some of the beans and olives.

"What's this?! Cade's waiting for us! I thought we had to hurry."

"We're meeting him at Titan instead [of his office] I'll call him and tell him we're on the way. But he's waiting at his office for us. Did you have lunch?"

"no"

"Then eat this quick so you won't starve before dinner."

"But weren't you making this for later?", as he lifted a spoonful.

"Nope, I made it for you."

"Beans?! You trying to give me gash?"
__________

Drinks and laughter with Cade, and hot men, at Titan

Dozen block summer city walk to Hank's Oyster Bar

More drinks - more laughs - lobster roll!

(Oh!, Provincetown.)

Home by twelve,

Asleep by 12:15

Loud "harrumphs" from Rolf in the other room.
__________

It was so quiet, bright and beautiful Saturday morning. I spent most of the day in the sunroom. After breakfast, with coffee, and my feet up on the ottoman: I read a magazine for two whole hours. Of course, I felt guilty using a pile of clean laundry as a pillow, but it was still pretty near heaven.

At some point, after Rolf had zipped through and out of the house to get a hair-cut and a massage that I set up for him- I got back to completing my marinated olive and white bean salad, to which I was going to add the beautiful farmer's market yellow beefsteak tomato, and serve over shredded lettuce as a side dish for dinner. . . when I found that most of it was gone.

Oh well. c'est la vie, no?

"Well, you said you made it for me," he said, sitting at the table with me, looking sheepish, handsome and relaxed; and, thank God, with a good hair cut. "If you want me to, I'll go to the store and get you more olives and those beans - the dressing is still in there. . ."

"Really? You'll go the store for me" I said, my mind spinning around a glorious possibility: I might not have to leave the house all day!

And he did! He took the laundry to the cleaners too! While he was gone, I got the slaves working (that would be the washer/dryer, and both dishwashers. I've lost track of where all those dirty dishes came from.), and I got really busy with the reimagining of the master bedroom. We've been working on turning it into a dressing room, and it's just been a mess. The drawers of the broken dresser, sitting at the foot of the futon, still stuffed with clothes, more clothes on top of the futon. . . oy.my.God.

Rolf, god bless him; he got sacked by the heat, man. He was nearing a heat stroke by the time he got home with the groceries. I didn't offer to help either, which irritated him, but he didn't ask, or tell me there was more; so I didn't think there was any need, you know? c'est la vie.

Before he collapsing, he made it down to the rec room, where the temperature is 25,000 times more comfortable than upstairs. And I was upstairs, just being Donna Reed, Mrs. Happy Housewife in my own T.V. Show.
__________

We sat together at the pub table in the sunroom. Kitchen behind, living area to the left with a Magnolia beyond, the forest (and lake) in front, a holly bush to the right, with two fans and Mango daiquiris, up, in martini glasses. Talking and laughing; we were just friends. Best friends.
_________

I made lamb with lemon and rosemary, garden fresh green beans with homemade tomato, oregano, and garlic jam, tabouli (cous-cous salad) with the aforementioned garden fresh yellow tomato plus roasted corn, lemon and olive oil, parsley and mint.

He said it was the best meal he's ever had.

To every thing, turn turn turn
There is a season, turn turn

I like this season.

Would that it lasts, forever.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home