Monday, February 27, 2006

7:45 The Show

“Recreating ‘I Believe My Own Eyes’ from Little Theatre of Alexandria’s Outstanding Musical Nominee Tommy, please welcome Vig deBoeuf, Petunia Walker, and Outstanding Cameo in a Musical nominee, Li’l Tommy.”

Angrily, I follow Mrs. Walker and Li’l Tommy up the long access ramp to the stage.

There is only silence.

Upstage left, Mrs. Walker kneels and removes Li’l Tommy’s coat, turns to hang it on a chair; and Li’l Tommy seemingly sleepwalks to “the mirror”, walking straight to the audience and stares with no expression and no recognition. It is chilling.

Seeing this, Mrs. Walker rushes to gently set him in a chair. With a fear or deep sadness, she looks at me. Finding me glowering she quickly looks down and away, her raven hair falling over her eyes.

And with perfect pitch, in silence, I loudly and angrily sing the first note.

The first note, the first verse: Triumph.

She sings, her strength of character growing and revealing itself with every perfect note: Triumph.

I stand and grab her hand and we begin the pained love duet, a rock concert worthy power ballad, her eyes are so bright, we are so excited. Together we sing:

“I Believe My Own Eyes. Know I’ve come to the end, all my patience is gone. . .”

And Li’l Tommy sits like a mannequin, gaze fixed on something no one can see.

Standing face to face, one hand on her shoulder, one on her waist, our voices raised to the strongest loudest level and magnified by the microphones and huge speakers: no two people have ever been happier.

But looking over her shoulder, I see that Li’L Tommy is making no effort to move.

Not only are we singing in front of “400 hundred of the finest actors and directors” in local theater, but we’ve been thrown a wild card. And wild is FUN! As long as you keep it together that is.

“Is he counting? Did he notice that was the first one? Will he move on the second one? What will we do? What will break the kiss? WHAT AM I SINGING?”

My mind wanders over the possible scenarios and I lose track of where we are in the song. She recognizes the alarm on my face. Understanding, and gripping my hand painfully hard, I focus on her so intently as to do a Vulcan Mind Meld, and we make it to the attempted kiss.

I follow my blocking as if Li’l Tommy was at the mirror, and I was carrying him back to the chair, and we are back on track. The second time we sing “all our patience is gone” is coming up. . . I’m wondering if he’ll move then, and what will we do, what will happen to our show. But we keep singing, our excitement and intensity sailing over any levels we’ve ever had.

We sing, our backs are to him. . . nothing. Facing each other once again with private triumph knowing we’re going to be all right, either choice he makes at the final chance will not alter anything we will do.

On cue, she grabs my hand and takes me to “the mirror”. We stand flush to the audience, triumphantly declaring that we will “find where the real future lies” the highest and loudest notes in the song. . . and they are beautiful.

I lean in, and we kiss.

At the first of the last 6 chords, Li’l Tommy realizes he’s missed his cues. He get’s down from the chair and walks deadly calmly toward “the mirror” raising his hand and reaching out saying:

“Tommy?

Tommy?

Tommy?

Tommy?

Tommy.”

Triumph. We are triumphant.

And the audience knows it too as the applause and cheers begin with the loudest thunder and roar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home