Monday, February 27, 2006

7:20

I blow into the pitch pipe, hoping I’m blowing into the tiny hole labeled “G”, before stepping out of the green room door to see if Li’L Tommy wins an Outstanding Performance Award. After the award goes to somebody else, I step back into the green room and hum what turns out to be a G-Flat. Mild concern turns into panic as I obsessively get my pitch, count to 50, and then try to hum it . . . and keep singing flat. Mrs. Walker, now miked, enters from the dressing room as Li’L Tommy and his Mom enter from the hall.

He says: “You know what? ‘Patience is gone’ is there [in the song] free times.” He smiles big at Mrs. Walker.

“That’s right,” she says. “It is there three times, but you only move on the first and third time, right?”

“Right,” smile and giggle, “I only move on the First and Fird time.”

I blow into the pitch pipe and watch Mom rush to get the ginger haired tyke into his dress white costume. I hum the note, on pitch, as Mom finishes attaching the mic and hides the wire in his shorts.

“OK, Li’l Tommy, are you ready to go over the blocking?” He smiles and nods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home