Monday, February 27, 2006

5:55

5:55

“ATTENTION PLEASE: We will be opening the doors to the theater in five minutes. We will call you by your arrival number. Please have your arrival number ready.”

I had finally retrieved the scotch. As I drank it, I could feel the sea of pain separate and move off of my vocal chords and my chest. It took a huge amount of effort to stand still and visit with Tomas. I was so distracted by all the people, so many friends, all happy, shining . . . some artificially so.

Suddenly, each of the five dozen people who had the tech rehearsal said: “What’s an arrival number?”

“You got it with your ticket,” the new comers said showing their take-a-number-dispenser ticket they got when they came in the front door. Knowing we had reserved our seats, we all just hung out with our drinks and watched the glamorous crowd disappear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home