Thursday, May 26, 2005

Who is Captian Walker?

Finally, a moment to breathe! I'm really excited about being in Tommy again! I really want to nail all the levels and motivations for Capt. Walker. I see his main levels as being a military commander, POW survivor, husband, (bad) father, and head of a dysfunctional family.

During "What About the Boy", I could be acting so abhorrently as a reaction to the war.

As "Christmas" is four years later, I think we, husband and wife, are suffering a relationship crisis. We are not warm to each other, which explains Mrs. Walker's hesitation to accept my invitation to dance. When she accepts, and we forget our troubles and dance with 'exuberance', it as an example of trying to hold the relationship together. And it works for a season, through "Do You Think It's Alright", where they've decided to have a date, and on thru the end of "Sensation" where we have a moment of hope. However, having our hopes dashed at the Psychiatric Clinic during the "Sparks" reprise, leaves us hopelessly defeated - and we do not pull together when facing defeat. This is why I stay outside to have a cigarette when we get home, and why I do not consult her about my plans during "Eyesight to the Blind". (Speaking of which, I can't make sense of the beginning of "Eyesight". The Hawker lights my cigarette, and says "You talk about your woman". . . huh? We hadn't been talking, is there a fix there, some business?)

The "Gypsy" number seems like a war zone to me. I'm not sure how I feel about taking my ten-year old to a prostitute, but I am desperate. If not for the syringes, I would have let him go. It's been 6 years since I've returned home, and in that time Tommy has been on several medications. There were side effects and no benefits. I weigh the possible cost, and decide it's too big a risk and I grab/rescue Tommy from the Acid Queen.

The next scene is 8 years later. Being that we were left hopeless at the end of Act I, I do not think much has changed. Our life is bleak, perhaps with brief seasons of closeness, however at this point our's is a loveless marriage.

When I've found another approach to healing Tommy, I am so excited about the possibility of the three of us being released from the prison that our lives have become, that I practically bounce with joy when telling Mrs. Walker that there is a new hope. But she refuses to have hope. Hopes have been dashed too many times, and it hurts. It is hard to hear her be so cynical and depressed about the new doctor. But it turns out that she is right. There is nothing they can do.

I am so despondent that I don't even respond when Mrs. Walker invites me to play cards. She is used to it by now and just says "suit yourself". With a sudden desperation I tell her that this can't continue. I intend to tell her that this has to change, or I am leaving. But that's not what happens, I can't do it. Instead I find myself begging her to find a way that we can be happy together. And she agrees! This is unexpected, and wonderful. Why do I exit then? Am I leaving to telephone a psychiatric hospital, a nursing home?

OR - - at the point of "I Believe My Own Eyes" they are quite estranged from each other and I begin the song in total desperation planning on expressing only my frustration, however ending up begging Mrs. Walker to put the relationship first. I think it works momentarily, but at the very end of the song she's struck by the reality of Tommy, and regresses to bitterness and anger, which, thou not intended, and perhaps not realized, really pushes Capt. Walker away thinking he had failed.

After, "Smash the Mirror" I think our relationship is thrown for a loop. There must be a new relationship with Tommy. One where he is unforgiving and accusatory. Does he ever sleep in the house again? What is the timing for the rest of the show? How long between his recovery and super-stardom? During the press conference, it seems like we are not part of his life. We are just bystanders. I think that Mrs. Walker and I are grieving now, we are grieving together and we have pulled together again, this time comforting each other in our loss. Perhaps we look much older than our actual ages.

When Tommy comes back into our lives, Mrs. Walker and I are bereaved, but much closer. We are having tea together with Uncle Ernie, evidence that we have achieved a normal and nearly-happy life, and strong relationship.

During "We're not going to take it", although we are very worried that Tommy is going to retreat into the 'mirror world', we do not pull apart, but "hang onto each other in concern". Perhaps after I am "overcome" by Tommy's forgiveness, Mrs. Walker and I have a moment reminiscent of our courtship and wedding night, showing the depth of love they have for each other, that could only be expressed once they've been released from the prison of their mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home