Thursday, May 19, 2005

Audition Weekend – Laughter, hugs and kisses. . .

Part Four - Conclusion

Rolf didn’t want to go to the party. Since I had reneged on the supposed promise of sex, he was mad and hurt. I was ashamed. He deserves better. He was working at his desk when it was time to get ready. When he told me that he was thinking of not going, I said it was ok. Even though he was the assistant producer and the assistant stage manager, I know how many interruptions there have been, and that he has a deadline. But, while I was showering, I just thought of being there without him. Me, telling everyone that he couldn’t come because of work, even telling his boss, who would be there, that Rolf was home working. And I imagined their eyes conveying alarm, disbelief, worry. I nearly cried.

With a towel wrapped around my waist, I went to the office and got down on my knees. Taking his hands in mine I said “Oh please come. Everyone will be there. You really don’t want to miss this.”

Now, he was sitting on the floor next to me, having a wonderful time, sharing popcorn with me and Tina.

I can summarize the delight: applause at every entrance, after every song, after each bit, lots of laughter. Stage crew and actors providing side commentary about what was happening off-stage – yet still hushed and quiet when anyone was “on-stage”. I held Tina’s hand at times when I wanted to whisper to her some fantastic thing she had done and how perfect she was. And she really was.

Intermission: We all signed cards for our missing actress. I got even more hugs and kisses, now that they’d seen what we’d created. More wine. SoundMan and FittnessGod had switched the food table over to offer all the desserts. Everyone was so happy. Me too. I love to make people happy. And I caused this. Celebrate! More wine. (I hugged Tina’s Dad. Yay me!) More wine!

Act 2 – at the very end, credits are running, everyone is talking a mile a minute. Drummer makes them all be quiet to hear the very last sound-bite. Hushed, looking at each other wondering what’s going to happen, and we hear a boisterous voice say:

“How do you follow this up now, Vig? You've screwed yourself!”

Much laughter. Hugs and kisses.

At home, after digging into the eggplant parmesan I had made earlier. Rolf was running his fingers through my hair while talking to BigManSon. I finished off my Seagram’s 7 (a very bad mistake, oh no) and kissed Rolf goodnight. After reading a moment, I turned out the light and closed my eyes just as Rolf came in saying “What?! Does that mean you won’t even scratch my back?” I said “I’ll scratch your back, we just have to do it with the light off.” Later, I scratched his back with one hand. Then reached around and stroked his thighs. And there was laughter, hugs and kisses. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home