Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Audition Weekend

My hope was that having the Ruthless! The Musical video party the night before Tommy call-backs would pump me up with confidence. Even though the party and the video were stellar, I’m not sure how confident I feel. Actually, I feel old.

I’m just too busy. Combine that with heavy drinking, and it’s no wonder I feel old. I am tired. “But happy.”

Rolf and I took d’Ohgy for her stage debut on Friday night. She played Crab in Two Gentlemen of Verona. Why? Just so we’d have something to talk about I guess. I had to walk the dog out onto the stage, after the fire announcement, but before the show started. The voice over said “Please welcome this evening’s guest artist and his or her owner.” That gave me the giggles. So I’m walking the dog out there so she gets comfortable, while trying to keep my laughter from welling into a full guffaw. Other than that, it was a long evening back-stage waiting for d’Ohgy’s cues and wishing we’d brought snacks. Rolf and I had a good time together. For two people so very much in love, we sure do throw a lot of shit at each other. But there was none of that. He helped me with my lines for my new Shakespeare scene. And we had a good time.

On Saturday, I had to:
Take the dog to the vet,
Make it to a 10AM rehearsal for Shakespeare,
Get home and dress for the 2PM Tommy audition,
Audition for Tommy,
Cook for the Ruthless pot-luck,
And go back for the Saturday night performance of Two Gentlemen of Verona.

He had told me, several times that he was going to run a 5K on Saturday morning. Before I got to bed Friday, I asked him if he could take d’Ohgy to the vet. He snidely said something like “Oh, it’s not like I have a life, or ever have plans, or was going to run the 5K tomorrow. Don’t you worry about it. I’ll take care of it. I probably won’t get up early enough to make the race anyway. Don’t you bother giving it another thought.” I apologized saying “Please don’t be like that, I just forgot, ok? I can handle it.” Then of course it’s the extremely tired volley game of “No-no, really I can take care of it. Not a problem.” And “Really, I’m sorry. I’ll do it.” Back and forth over and over, for 23 fucking years. Love sucks.

Yet, snuggling in bed on a Saturday morning, are the best moments of our lives. Of course we overslept. He missed the 5K, and I was late to rehearsal. I’d intended on going straight from rehearsal to the audition, but had to change plans because I didn’t have time to pick out the audition outfit that would say “Straight – man who can sing”. Rolf took d’Ohgy to the vet, and I made it to the auditions. I sang “All I Need is the Girl” from Gypsy. It’s an excellent audition piece for me. Short, fast, with a good high note. But the audition was strange. First of all, it is very odd to be the toast of the town at times. Especially since I can never remember that I am fabulous. But this was just totally weird.

I’m called in to audition, and I’m thinking “OK, Vig, big masculine strides here, head up chest out, wrists restricted” and this whole production team, save the director, starts congratulating me on my hit show and saying how sorry they were to miss it. The producer said that they talked about the show every night during their production of Das Barbeque, indicating a collegial jealousy. Fun. The director (cute-cute,) was wide eyed at the commotion. I was a little unnerved myself, and walked up to the piano like a timid girl when it was my turn to sing. (But, that may be more because the pianist is so hot. I always smile and giggle when I see him. I hope I get the role, so I can sit on the piano bench next to him and rub shoulders while we practice.) The pianist is also a great musician, so it was a real thrill to sing with him. But it was so quick. Since there is no dialogue in the show, that was the extent of my audition. They just had everyone sing their prepared piece, and said they’d look at dance ability (not needed for me), and work from the show at call-backs. I thought “that is going to be one long call-back.”

To be continued . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home