Monday, June 19, 2006

There's One More Angel in Heaven

more gay days

Rolf hosted a Gay Pride Happy Hour on behalf of his company on Thursday. It was so cool. Right here in Arlington, on the garden plaza level of their headquarters. We had wine and hors d'oeuvres. I was the official photographer, and all around help. After that we rushed over to Puck and Memae's house downtown, where we had dinner and watched TransAmerica on their huge TV.

Friday I had rehearsal with the Plaids, and then a wonderful evening with Mrs. Walker (my Tommy wife) and her friends. She said that we made the party! Well, I think it was the vodka that made the party. We really had a good time, and I don't think I didn't anything wrong. . . well other than ask some of her friends to expain something to me about Iraq that I was just to stupid to understand, not being a highfalutin lawyer type like they is. . . Yeah, I can be really the opposite of impressive sometimes. We got home at 1:30, I sat down in a over-stuffed chair, poured my self a nice scotch, then realized that I was totally trashed. So, I poured it back in the bottle and went to bed.

Saturday morning, while standing in Safeway picking out a Father's Day card, my cell-phone beeped. Someone had left a message at 8:54. I pressed the speed dial number for voice mail while I scanned the Father's Day Cards.

"Vig, It's Hildi. I have really bad news. Pat's not coming back from Afghanistan. He died day before yesterday. Give me a call when you have a chance. Love you, bye" She began to cry as she hung up the phone.

Our friend, Pat was 41 years old. He had been sent to Afghanistan in January with the National Guard. He had a heart attack. He leaves behind his wife Hildi, and two children ages 12 and14. Although they've lived in Maine for the last 15 years, they've still been close friend of ours. She's from Puerto Rico. Now she's a widow in Maine. Forty-one - Afghanistan - heart attack - Puerto Rico - Maine - Cell-phone message in the grocery store - no one saw me cry.

Rolf was driving us down to my folks. After I had talked to Hildi, and recovered from my second bout of sobs, we settled into the ride and I started to go over my words for the new song I was to sing at the Reston Community Players end of year celebration. First line? There's one more angel in heaven. . .

d'Ohgy sprang out of the car and into my parents back yard before we could get the leash on her. It was a beautiful and clear afternoon. Mom and Dad's annual garden luncheon for the JOY (Just Older Youth) Fellowship had been on Wednesday. They love the garden that Rolf and I created for them, but never-more-so than after this annual garden party for old Baptists. They can't get over how much fun everyone has looking at the garden and asking about the flowers and plants for a woodland garden.

We had a really nice time ourselves. Except Rolf, there were no spouses or boy/girl friends. It was just Mom and Dad, Rolf and I, Joy (my sister) and her children, Shannon and Russ. The garden was beautiful, the conversation was light, and daddy loved the gift that Rolf and I got him from Harper's Ferry. It is a wood carving of an old fisherman's face, with a big nose and nostrils that is really a birdhouse! The birds go in and out of the nose! Daddy laughed so hard he was in tears. Me too.

Saturday night the Reston Bash - was a blast. Two of the cast members of Forever Plaid had bought their white dinner jackets, which they wore with tuxedo-ed flair. We sang "The Catering Drill" and "Crazy 'Bout Ya Baby" from Plaid which was just great great great! So great. I love singing with them! Then *much* later we sang "There's One More Angel in Heaven" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It was a total blast. I got to hang out with the Plaid cast, plus Judy was there from my production of Ruthless! And I made it through the death song without breaking down.

Sunday we went to Driftwood Beach on the Chesapeake with Rolf's family for Father's Day. I've never been to a Chesapeake Bay Beach before, and I was delighted to find that it was very much like a day at the ocean. We were there for 6 hours, so I had plenty of time to visit, and plenty of time to read a book.

All in all - a great weekend - well, except . . except for the tears.

There's One More Angel in Heaven
There's One More Star in the Sky
But Patrick, the things that you stood for
Like Democracy will never die
Like Love and Peace will never die
Like Truth and Light will never die

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

3 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your friends. I couldn't think of anything more devastating to a family.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Vig said...

I don't know what I'm going to do. Kay's wedding is this weekend. I don't know when Pat's funeral is, but I just don't think I can go. That is just not ok. The biggest reason we might not go, is that we have these horrid jobs that have no vacation! I'm helping Kay every night this week, except Thursday, and I have guests for her wedding staying at my house. It may come down to who needs me more. Well, Hildi's been in that community for 15 years. . . and I'm the unofficial *Man of Honor* for the wedding (cause I officially said "no", but I'm still doing the job.)

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things couldn't be any worse. You're in a terrible situation, I'd help you if I could.

I know you're doing your best, hopefully all will understand, don't beat yourself up.

ps
I knew you wouldn't turn her down

 

Post a Comment

<< Home