Thursday, February 15, 2007

My Funny Valentine

I didn't make it back to bed to snuggle with Rolf before he got up. (We got snuggling, laughs, hugs, and kisses in later.) It was a really nice day. I love being at home! I didn't get my whole list of projects done, but who cares. Rolf worked from home, while I worked on my computer and putzed around in my long johns and UVA sweatshirt. A load of laundry here, a load of dishes there, nap . . . lots of sitting around the sun room gazing out into space.

We shoveled the steps and cleaned up the cars, and managed to get in a short walk by the lake at sunset. The crunchy ice packed snow was rough, so we ended up sitting on the ground and watching the sunset. It was beautiful and fun, but poor d'Ohgy doesn't like standing around, especially on the ice.

We went back up the trail toward home where I remembered that I wanted to go sledding. I pulled the saucer out from under the sun room. Rolf was trying to tamp out a path for me, and I, sitting on the saucer, kept sliding into him nearly knocking him down. After a couple of passes down the hill, getting faster each time, and running into the construction fence too, I put the sled away. We stood out on the deck in our hats and gloves and continued to watch the sun set as we laughed and talked.

Thank God there are moments like that.

Later on, we fell out of the bed. And between panted breaths; laughed.

For dinner I made a deep dish polenta pizza that was just wonderful. It was a triple threat dish - cheap, easy, delicious! I didn't know polenta was just corn meal and water, cooked like popovers only no eggs. Once the polenta was done, I formed it into the shape of a deep dish pizza in a cast iron pan, and topped it with sauteed onions, zucchini, red peppers, and diced tomatoes from a can that I drained first. Then I put a few table spoons of regular plain old cottage cheese, that I had set in a sieve while I made the polenta so it had drained, and then I covered the dish with shredded Parmesan cheese; then threw it in the oven at 400 for 25 minutes.

It's the kind of nothing-really-happened day, that you always want to remember.

Vig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home