Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tell Me It's Not True

I'm feeling better. Man, yesterday; mmm hm! such a headache. Quite possibly it was due to ragweed - but I think it was stress.

Rolf and I really had a good weekend. We had different things to do on Saturday, but Saturday night we hosted my friend, Mrs. Walker (do you remember her? She was my co-star in Tommy, and she's hot.) The three of us had cocktails at home, then drove in her convertible to take in dinner and a movie. Now, when she arrived, I had a cute tree guy at the house, to give me an estimate on removing the fallen oak. . . So while she and I are having martinis, I hear the storm door open and close but no one came in. Yeah, the tree guy?, left the estimate and ran. I'd have run too. He estimated that it will cost $5,800 to remove the tree. (Please note that I just edited multiple curse words.)

Whatever.

So, Mom and Dad, Joy, Rolf and I had a pretty frank discussion about end of life issues should my Mom "not survive," at lunch on Sunday. That's what she says. . .

"Should I not survive. . . your Daddy will need to sell the lake house because there won't be enough money to pay the mortgage. I've written down all the accounts, and where all payments are deducted from. . . someone will need to help manage that because your Dad gets too confused."

My sister is planning on moving in with my Dad and taking care of him. And I don't want that, for no reason other than I don't want her to give up her life or freedom. But, Daddy's going to need someone to share the house with him, and the cost. It turns out that Mom going first is a huge financial loss for him. She would have been much better off, if he'd gone first. Well, obviously - but I mean financially.

Well. Mom's still ok. I mean, she's not doing great. . . but it's going to get a whole lot worse.

Probably.

But, I hope not.

Mom laughed as she told of talking to her brother - the one who won't be in the same room with me - and who I happen to look just like - She says that they talked for a while, and then a little while later he called back and said:

"You Lied to Me." Mom thought it was funny. "You said you were feeling ok, and now I hear from your daughter that you're not doing well at all." And Mamma, she just laughed and said

"Well, what can I say?"

Rolf held me a long time in the kitchen after everyone had gone home. But, I didn't cry. That's probably why I got such a huge headache. I should have cried the stress away.

Well, what can I say?

All the best,
Vig


Tell Me It's Not True
Blood Brothers

Tell me it's not true,
Say it's just a story,
Something on the news.

Tell me it's not true,
Though it's here before me,
Say it's just a dream,
Say it's just a scene,
From an old movie of years ago,
From an old movie of Marilyn Monroe,

Say it's just some clowns,
Two players in the limelight,
And bring the curtain down.

Say it's just two clowns,
Who couldn't get their lines right,
Say it's just a show on the radio,
That we can turn over and start again,
That we can turn over; it's just a game.

Tell me it's not true,
Say I only dreamed it,
And morning will come soon.

Say you didn't mean it,
Tell me it's not true,
Say it's just pretend,
Say it's just the end,
Of an old movie from years ago,
From an old movie of Marilyn Monroe.

Tell me it's not true,
Say I only dreamed it,
And morning will come soon.

Tell me it's not true
Say you didn't mean it.
Say it's just pretend
Say it's just the end
Of an old movie from long ago
From an old movie with Marilyn Monroe.

2 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything much worse to have to talk about.

You didn't cry? Is the same man that cried over showtunes in a restaurant last weekend? Where's Vig and what have you done with him.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Vig said...

ha ha! well, later on, when we were going to Home Depot. . . I got choked up then, but I just had to insist that we talk about something else.

Frankly, I need a good cry.

Oh, I was supposed to go down there today, but I just couldn't do it. I talked to Mom about more *end of life issues*. She said, "Well, we just have to keep this as an open conversation. We may have many more years before we need to worry about it." And she's right. It could be within a year, or it could be much longer. It's not a typical cancer, so who's to say.

I know there are all kinds of web based advice that will give me their opinion. . .but I don't need that anymore. I'm ready, and I'm grateful for any time we have now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home