Thursday, August 31, 2006

Another story about my soldier friend, Pat Damon

Not only did Hildi get to meet with George Bush, so did his mom. The story includes this paragraph:

“He’d been to Hilde first,” Day said, and when Pres. Bush entered, “He appeared to have red eyes,” and had been crying, Halley confirmed later. “I stood up and greeted him, and shook his hand.” Day told him she appreciated the inclusion of her and the other mothers who had lost a son or daughter. “He hugged me and said ‘I’m sorry for your loss’.” He sat down and laid his arms on the table and bent over, described Damon. Bush said, “Your daughter-in-law is very angry with me.”

I talked to Hildi for an hour on Tuesday night. It was incredible the things she said. For instance, she's showing him pictures of Pat, and George asks friendly questions, such as "Oh when was this taken", and she said:
I'm not here to share my vacation stories with you. I'm here to show you the man who was my soul mate, who died, for which I hold you personally responsible.

She had her children with her for the first part of the meeting. Her son, Christian, 12, asked if he could have George's autograph. When the president said yes, with relief, Christian gave him the memorial prayer card from his father's funeral, and that's what George signed.

Then Mikayla said, "Me too", and she handed him another card in memorial of Patrick Damon.

3 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vig, this is so sad, you're right you have great friends. Hildi, is a very strong person, I couldn't have done what she did...If signing Patrick's memorial card didn't break his heart, he doesn't have one.

Okay now, I'm playing "MOM"...Stop with the wine and get in shape mister!!! Or I'll have to come over there and pry that glass out of your chubby little hands? Listen, it's not hopeless, you'll do it when you're ready.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Vig said...

OUCH!

That really made me laugh!

Thanks!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Good, at least I did one thing right today. I'm glad it made you laugh, I had second thoughts after I posted it. Just so you know it was said out of love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home