Friday, September 08, 2006

So Much More

We had a week of ex-lovers - I swear. First Carol stayed with us while in town for a business trip. She is Puck's ex. Then we went to Milton / Rehoboth to visit with Paxton, only to discover that his ex - Hunter - was there with another of his exes besides. . . did you catch that?

oy vey.

We had some good times. I had a mental list of things I wanted to write down before I forgot them . . . but I've forgotten them. Mostly. What I remember in list:

Party in Milton in their fantastic screen room, where I listened to Bob Mould's "Shine Your Light" for the first time outside of my own sun-room.

Paxton called us and left a message on the phone saying: "Chirrun! Your Mama is drrrrrruuunnk. She's drruunnk! If she can get the car started, sheez'l be home soon."

Some guy gave me a joint.

Nice beach day with some friend of Hunters. Name is Craig, I think. Ran into Leon, who's phone rang with the theme from "Sex and the City", he answered saying "Miranda?"

My soundman and music director had a happy hour for us. They were so happy to see us. They wished we had gone to Poodle Beach, but we only go to North Shores because fat people are allowed there. Besides, that's where the real men go.

We bought stuff - antiquing. "Hi, I'm in my 40's, and I have cash. I'll take that, and that. . "

Bemmy finished his move while we were away. He called to ask us if we knew our Oak Tree had fallen down. We didn't. He sent pictures to our cell phone showing that the house wasn't hit or damaged. So, I celebrated, thinking that it was going to cost about $4,000 less to have it removed than to have it cut down and removed. . . eh. . . not so much. (I'm in my 40's, and I had some cash. . . )

Also, it was a busy week leading up to Labor Day. I had to put in a new budget, and it included a nice raise for me! And it was all approved! Yay Me!

Oh! Oh! OH! After that cocktail party- Rolf and I went to Poodle Beach at Sunset. It was nearly chilly. Rolf started making fun of that little baby on Family Guy, Stewie Griffin. . . I have no idea what he was saying, but it was all I could do to keep from falling into a fetal position down on the wet sand in an attempt to quell the pain in my sides from laughing so hard.

It was our first sight of the ocean in a year. So, we walked from Poodle Beach all the way to Victoria's restaurant, where we ate fine food, sitting on the boardwalk, thinking "I'm in my 40's and I have cash, I'll have that and that and that." While Jeff Irwin played and showtunes, most of which nearly made me choke on my tears. (I'm like that you know.)

One song, *Not What You See* from Barry Manilow's Here at the Mayflower, oy my god . . . I mean come on . . . Rolf and I are being waited upon, hand and foot by tuxedoed waiters at the surf's edge, one month away from our 25th anniversary, and Jeff's singing:
I see you looking
at the two of us
and what do you see
the oldest couple at the Mayflower
Esther and Me

I'll bet you think
that what you're looking
at is all we are
two old people forgetting
the way we were

Sonny, no one is
what they look like
everyone's so much more
Sonny, no one is
what they look like
and we're not what
you see that's for sure

and when I look at her now
I still see her young and beautiful
she's my girl and I'm her Joe
and we're not what you see

I'll bet you think that what you're looking at
is all we are
two old people
stumbling through the days
Sonny, no one is what
they look like
everyone's so much more
Sonny, no one is what
they look like
and we're not what you see
that's for sure. . .
It's a song sung by Joe, 83, about Esther, 80, the oldest couple at the Mayflower.

One day

That will be me

If it wasn't for the sound of the surf, the music, the tourists on the boardwalk stopping to listen: all you'd have heard was me, trying to catch my breath and keep the sob caught in my throat from escaping.

Rolf thinks it is so cute when I am overcome. I could just strangle him. He looks at me, and smiles, blue eyes twinkling, his smile constrained by a touch of empathy, and I can't get mad that he's laughing at me too.

It was a very good day.

It makes up for each and every other bad day.

It just takes one. And it's all worth it.

All the best,
Vig

1 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehehe, I'm so confused. I got lost in the first paragraph.

OMG, You're too funny today, I love this line, I had a mental list of things I wanted to write down before I forgot them...but I've forgotten them. Think I'm going to use it for my new mantra...lol.

If you're this emotional over Labor Day weekend, what's going to happen when you get to Italy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home