Thursday, August 03, 2006

Food, Glorious Food

Sunday we finally got around to that marinated Olive and Cannellini Bean salad, with Olive Oil, Balsamic, crushed garlic, thyme sprigs, and oregano. I diced some red pepper and red onion, and I added a package of tuna steaks (they're already cooked, and great.) Well, that was the whole dish. We needed a quick meal, so it was an Olive, Cannellini Bean salad with Tuna.

Rolf must have found some new taste buds, because he said:

"If you served this on a bed of lettuce, with some nice bread, I'd pay fifteen dollars."

__________

Then, on Tuesday we had leftover lamb and cous-cous from Saturday, but the cous-cous was dry. So, I made a lemon-olive oil vinaigrette and added a few tablespoons of it to the tabouli. So, totally edible and great. (But I had all this left over lemon vinaigrette in the fridge.)

Oh, and a neighbor dropped in on Monday with a dozen, fresh picked and beautiful, peaches. So, dinner last night was planned to be fish. I don't do fish. But it's so damn hot, and fish cooks so quick, and besides, it's been in the freezer for three months already. As Memae says, it's all about moving the product; so we had fish.

But not just any fish.

Have you ever played the "Cooking with Google Game?" What you do is you put a couple of ingredients you have on hand, say, gherkins and lamb, and add the word "recipe" and you're gonna get a recipe. Wait, let me try that one. . . not kidding. I got:

Baked Edam with Curacao Lamb Recipe #53052

He he he. . . so I googled "Alaskan Halibut Peaches Recipe" and I got the idea to marinate my peaches in that leftover lemon vinaigrette, then grill it all. The vinaigrette was sour, maybe a bitter lemon was in there, so I added a 1/4 cup of sugar, whisked it all together and marinated the peaches for about an hour. After which, so much peach juice had come out, that I now had Peach Lemon vinaigrette.

Oh! Rolf and I ate downstairs. Because it's so frickin' hot. But, there's no table down there.

As quick as I could, I brought a table base in from under the sun-room, and two ice-cream chairs that had been out side too. I found a piece of plywood, that I covered with some towels (really, it was too hot to go upstairs to search for a table cloth.) And the chairs were grimy, so I just covered them with towels too.

I brought the food down on a tray, and asked Rolf to set it on the table while I went to wash my hands.

When I got back to the table, he was sitting there, sparkling eyes, sheepish looking, suppressing a grin.

"Oh, is it good?" I asked. I thought he was waiting to chew something, and that's why he didn't say anything. And I sat down, and his expression changed to puzzlement . . .and mock accusation. . .

"Why am I the only one who got a squishy chair?! Did you do that on purpose?"

"Oh, is it wet?" I started to say. . . but didn't finish because his chair peed on the floor. I shrieked with laughter. With a towel on it, he didn't get wet. And we didn't have another chair, unless you went into the furnace, so he just stayed there. . . with the chair peeing loudly every now and then.

So the final dish was: Grilled Alaskan halibut with grilled peaches and lemon-peach vinaigrette, a peeing chair, and lots of laughs.

I think that is very funny.

And, lord was it good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home