Thursday, October 20, 2005

Puck and Memae

We went to dinner at Puck and Memae's last night. I am so glad that they are here. Their new home is beautiful.

What does Memae mean? and how do you spell it. I had given her the nom de plume of Lori, but I keep hearing "She's such a Memae." I've gathered that it means "One who is possessed by her great-great Italian Grandmother from Boston." She tends to say things like"When are you boys coming to see me?" And "Oh, you're such good boys."

After dinner, while apologizing for not making cookies, she says since she and Puck are going out of town for the weekend, that we must take some leftovers home so they don't go bad.

She packed a whole grocery bag for us. She deboned the roasted chicken, and put the whole thing in there, packed up all the mashed potatoes (enough for 4), threw in a couple of handfuls of snacksized chocolate bars, a pound and a half of grapes, three bananas, and a whole onion. An onion!

Last week, before they found their apartment, we were watching Martha Stewart in the sun room. It was a beautiful day, all the doors were open overlooking the park. They showed the pregnant belly of this woman who was carrying sextuplets. Huge, so huge. Memae screamed out: "Oh My God!" And someone yelled "Oh My God" back from the park, perfectly mimicking her Boston accent. It was so funny! Me and Puck fell to the floor laughing so hard.

So, a memae - is it a bad word? I hope not cause that's what I want to call her here. I almost called her Lori last night, her previously assigned pen-name. I guess that would be better than calling her by Puck's ex's name, but still, it would be pretty weird if I called her Lori. Then again, I've also referred to myself as Vig, and to my significant-tormentor as Rolf out in the world. Nobody heard me, I caught myself just before I had some explaining to do. It's fun to give everyone a new name and it protects their identiy too, but I think it is causing a multiple personality disorder for me. "I am Vig, the enforcer! . . . wait, that's not me."

By the way, there's good news on the relationship front. I think things will be fine.

All the best,
Vig

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home