Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I'm Singing This at a Wedding Next Weekend.



This is Micheal Hedges (1953 - 1997) performing his magnificent musical interpretation of the E.E. Cummings' (1894 - 1962) poem i carry your heart.

Honestly: I'm singing it at a Lesbian wedding in Leesburg on a Llama Farm - with a guy, named Steve, who is creating a piano version to accompany me; and we've never met, and won't meet until the day before the wedding. I have never found a transcription of the music, so he's creating this from ear. In case you didn't notice, the song starts out in 4:4, switches to 6:8, and back to 4:4. Three times.

I'm very excited. I sing this as an a capella piece, tightened up and faster. I think it's a remarkable performance, but a capella (unaccompanied vocal) feels weird. I hope this works out more brilliantly than anyone would expect. But it's very scary. Very; scary. (Intentional semicolon abuse for TJ & Jimbo.)
__________
Rolf's car broke down again at a light this morning. We just got it out of the shop on Friday, but only had $1,800 worth of the $7,000 needed work done. This news, I received not 30 minutes after the garage called me to say that my Jeep will cost $995 to have it repaired enough to pass the emissions inspection, so I can renew my license plates, for which I've already received two tickets, a $40 ticket to Arlington, and $75 ticket to Rehoboth. (Plus $1300 to replace the air conditioner's compressor - no thank you very much.)

Other news: I've lost 9 lbs, with 31 to go. My hair gets recolored tomorrow, my days of beach blond are at an end. I still haven't done the financial statements, and they were just asked for. I had five drinks last night. Well, it was two and a half drinks - but five shots. I measured. And the same on Tuesday. It wasn't enough. But it was enough.

Well, until Saturday.

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in

by E. E. Cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home